Monday, September 13, 2010

When the Starlight flickers away, as such marks the end of things..

I'm back from the legendary depths of Taiwan that every infantry sergeant makes his mark in.

The lessons from Taiwan, I've documented soundly and truth be told, I'm rather happy to have went to Taiwan. I have learnt more in Formosa about myself and the way I respond in situations more than in the past 6 months and I feel it a great need to constantly remind myself of that great final AAR (after-action review).

I would like to apologise for my actions and attitudes which were unbecoming of a specialist, but that being say, be grateful for having been enlightened at such importune a time as my passing out as a 3rd sergeant.

I read just the other day, my apologies for not remembering the writer's good name, that education is just an increased awareness of our own ignorance. Nothing can sum up so great a lesson in so short a sentence. It is Man's greatest gift that he can learn from the past. It is said with much cynicism that the only lesson from history is that We never learn from history. True, but only because history does not repeat itself and as such, we shall always have new mistakes to make.

I wish with all my heart to be a good sergeant, that I can, in whatever way I can, lead my 6 men out there to be their best. I know that I'm not the brightest, nor the fittest, nor the most capable, but I know now that I have the potential to effect these attributes in my men. As it has been shown, simple acts of commitment might just inspire others to push beyond themselves. I need to know this fact, I cannot allow myself to be carried away in the pursuit of my own comfort. Being there and yet, not there, it hurts others more than I could have foreseen. Not having a motivation is not a valid excuse since you have willingly accepted this rank and the duties that come attached.

No comments: