Monday, October 20, 2008

40% talk, 60% listening

I believe charisma is making others feel charismatic. It involves listening and understanding another. You may not have to talk much, but you can still radiate enough charisma to charm even an apple pie. However, you can yak all day long and ruminate your philosophies to any idiot and not get a single nickel from him. It's the highest form of communication and so far, I have been blessed to be in the company of a few charismatics, very few. They are a rare breed.

Somehow, their behaviour, their cool and confidence rubs off on you. There are different kinds of charisma, some are composed and can always hold their wits about them anywhere, others are just plain exuberance, the moment they're there, their presence is felt, electrifying everyone with their boldness and assertiveness. But they have one thing in common. They make you feel special like no other can.

That's why I hate getting preached to. No offence, I respect your opinions on issues but sometimes, if you haven't noticed, preaching tends to push the other onto the other side of the fence even if he held the same views as you in the first place. It's good to have strong opinions but sometimes, you have to be steady and listen to understand instead of going all in, guns ablazing.

Sometimes, just nodding your head in agreement means the world to the other, even if you don't agree at all. Instead of shaking your head and saying "I disagree with your point", how about trying "Hey that's a great point you're making there, I understand what you're on about, although it could be just that..." Saying it the right way makes you a hell lot more charismatic. Pushing your opinions in the other guy's face may push him too far. He'll end up being more defensive.

Stop being all self-righteous for once alright. The world doesn't revolve around you or me. I don't need you to tell me what to think although I don't mind listening to what you think and discussing what we think, 'cause you're a good friend, and maybe, if there's truth in what you say, why not. There's a difference. Please, start being more charismatic, listen, understand, don't ooze anti-charisma, it's not worth it. =)

No comments: