Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Last Lecture

Randy Pausch is one awesome dude.

If you don't know, he was an IT professor at Carnegie Mellon University. In his book, the Last Lecture, he talks about relevent lessons he has learnt in the past 47 years and what he hopes to impart to others before he dies from pancreatic cancer.

He inspired me.

The biggest lesson I took from him was the "brick wall". Brick walls are there, not to stop you, but to prevent those who don't want it bad enough. I've been banging my head against this wall the entire year and I think it's time to stop. I've got to start climbing, even if others are already halfway up.

Randy is just so sincere and touching. I know he'll make a fantastic father should he have lived. I wish I had a role model like him. Role models are extremely important in life, find a good one and you're set. Like Andy Van Dam was to him, he was to teens like me.

The last few chapters of the book really did it for me. I started choking up... even had a nose bleed haha wtf. The way he described his love for his children, he's desire to be there to see them experience the world was honestly too much for me to handle at one shot. Needed hell lot of kleenex. Wtf, I know I'll regret admiting this here, but if you don't feel anything after reading that book, you should just go eat grass. You ain't human.

I had an honest talk with my mum on my ambitions and goals. I'm aiming towards law/economics and commerce/finance. I'm also gunning for Melbourne U, looks good from what I've read.

This is ****ing gonna be the biggest ****ing wall in my life. I can choose to start banging the wall, hoping that the wall breaks before my head, OR I can start climbing. I think I'll start climbing. Indeed, there are loads of "head-fakes" (indirect lessons) to be learnt in JC, I finally see that you master the subjects, not for the subject itself, but for the skills you gain from them.

This is gonna be one tough climb, but I've got one foot up already. Chinese, here I come.

No comments: